afaqs!

Alcome enters India with Bipasha on its arm

By , agencyfaqs!, New Delhi | In Advertising | April 15, 2008
In India, the company is looking at an expenditure of Rs 8-10 crore on above the line advertising activities. It has chalked out Rs 4-5 crore separately for below the line activities

The positioning & #BANNER1 & # of perfumes has been changing from time to time. Some years ago, it was considered a premium product, but no longer. Or so says Alcome Perfumes and Cosmetics, a new entrant in the Rs 500 crore perfume market. Alcome has roped in Hindi film actress Bipasha Basu as its brand ambassador in India.

Sanjeev Nayyar, vice-president, Alcome Perfumes and Cosmetics, says, "We had shortlisted Katrina, Kareena and Bipasha for this purpose. We finalised on Bipasha as we needed a face that could relate to the masses and also give the brand international appeal." A television commercial featuring the actress will hit the screens at the end of the month, says Nayyar.

Nayyar (l) & Bipasha (r)
In India, the company is looking at an expenditure of Rs 8-10 crore on above the line advertising activities. Amongst mainline advertising media, electronic media will account for around 70 per cent of this figure; the remaining 30 per cent will be taken up by print.

Witnessing a rise of around 200 per cent in the direct marketing business, most of the renowned cosmetic companies across the globe now prefer the direct marketing route to launch their products, and Alcome is no different. It has chalked out Rs 4-5 crore separately for below the line activities.

Nayyar says, "Alcome, which has a reach in around 66 countries through retail chains, will step into the Indian market in the same way. It plans to set up alliances with retail chains such as Big Bazaar and Spencer's."

Alcome Perfumes and Cosmetics already has a range of semi-prestige perfumes available in the market through direct selling. It is looking forward to launching its prestige and designer perfumes, too. These perfumes will be made available at 1,000 retail shops and 5,000 traditional shops. Alcome products are available in the US and Australia, and in more than 38 countries in Europe, North America, West Asia and the Far East.

The company is expecting a turnover of Rs 150 crore in its first year in India.

Search Tags