Indusind Media and Communications (InCable) faced a copyright raid in Surat when the network was found transmitting channel signals of STAR Network beyond its authorised area of operation.
As a reaction to the copyright raid, the STAR channels were switched off on March 22. Also, the channels remained unavailable to many cable homes serviced by InCable in Mumbai, Nasik, Nagpur, Kolhapur, Solapur, Sangli, Ahmedabad, Baroda and Bengaluru since then.
STAR India says in an official statement that nearly one million cable homes serviced by InCable have been facing erratic supply of STAR channels as a result of unlawful activities by the MSOs (multi-system operators).
Sanjay Gupta, chief operating officer, STAR India, says in an official communiqué, "Protection of intellectual property is at the core of the television business and is key for the growth of both broadcasters and distribution platforms. On that issue, we will not negotiate or compromise."