LG tops the charts.
With the festival season in full swing, some of the most popular and long-awaited events took place in the month of September 2017. The nine days of Navaratri witnessed several "blockbuster sales" from popular ecommerce websites like Amazon and Flipkart amongst others.
All the stats updated here are up until October 1, 2017.
• Only advertisements launched in September of 2017 are considered.
• The overall audience sentiment that is mentioned below each advertisement is based on a number of views, likes, dislikes, watch time, and comments.
• If a brand has multiple ads on the leaderboard, only the one with the highest viewership is considered. This is just to ensure that more brands are recognized on the leaderboard since the underlying goal of this endeavour is to encourage brands to try digital video advertising more frequently.
Here are the top 10 video advertisements by Indian brands on YouTube for the month of September:
1. LG Linear Inverter Compressor Refrigerator - The Next Gen Refrigeration Solution
Indians love buying home appliances during festivals. And a good refrigerator is the perfect product to invest in for its longevity. This is the reason why LG Linear Inverter Compressor Refrigerator generated more than 15 million views. Another LG ad that made it to the top of the list this season is LG's Smart Inverter Washing Machine which generated more than 8 million views in total.
2. Samsung Convertible 5-in-1 Refrigerator - Made for More
With 5 different unique modes (Normal, Extra Shopping, Vacation, Seasonal and Home Alone), Samsung offers a complete family convertible refrigerator. And this advertisement justifies all its awesome features, with a modern touch.
3. Royale Atmos - Paint that cleans air
The advertisement features Deepika Padukone wearing a mask while indoors and reveals that the air inside our homes can be five times more polluted than the outside air. Royale Atmos introduces an innovative paint that purifies the air indoors. Its Activated Carbon Technology reduces pollutants making the air cleaner than before.
4. Deepika goContact
Goibibo promotes its goContact feature which lets you sync your phone contacts in the Goibibo App and gives you Rs. 50 goCash for each of your contacts' hotel bookings which you can then use for your own bookings later. This short and crisp advertisement featuring Deepika, has garnered more than 9 million views.
5. Amazon Great Indian Festival from September 21-24
For the festival season Amazon launched yet another Great Indian Festival Sale. The advertisement showcases siblings preparing for the festivities with great discounts on shopping from Amazon. The tagline "#KaroMilkeTayyari to tyohaar tyohaar lagta hai" very appropriately highlights the emotion behind festival shopping.
6. Redmi Note 4 TVC #KoiDebateNahi
Despite Redmi being fairly new to the Indian market, it has been performing well and has acquired the #1 spot in selling smartphones for the Redmi Note 4 model. The advertisement features various scenarios showcasing the Indian love for debating - like finding the best route, asking for an appraisal etc. And then there are some scenarios where there is no debate whatsoever (#KoiDebateNahi), like when it comes to buying the Redmi Note 4.
7. Myntra Celebrates Flipkart's 'The Big Billion Days! Sale is live, Shop now!'
Just like Amazon, Flipkart is never far behind when it comes to festival sales as it announced its Big Billion Days Sale on Myntra. With 50-80% off on the biggest brands online, Myntra geared up for the festive season.
8. First Night Free - MakeMyTrip
The cute pair - Alia and Ranveer - has been doing the social media rounds for the popular MMT ads. Here's yet another witty ad, featuring the pair, as they unveil MMT's latest offer which is giving out a first night complementary stay with every initial hotel booking done via the portal.
9. Hero Pleasure celebrates world record holder Bhakti Sharma - #AskWhy
Hero Pleasure celebrates a story of triumph. Triumph against cynicism, negativity and gender bias and it all started with a simple 'Why'. This advertisement showcases the incredible story of Bhakti Sharma, a world record holding swimmer, who knocked down every "rule" thrown her way by asking why and forging on.
10. Zenfone 4 Selfie - #TheBigSelfie feat. Disha Patani - 45 second ad
The best things in life are the people you love, the places you go and the memories you make. Zenfone's widest angle selfie camera #TheBigSelfie is here for your ever-growing world. The advertisement showcases people who live larger than life and hence deserve a larger than life selfie camera to fit their ever-growing world.
(The author is co-founder and CEO at Vidooly, a YouTube audience development and analytics firm.)