18 million online job seekers, Naukri most preferred: JuxtConsult

By , agencyfaqs!, New Delhi | In Digital
Last updated : August 16, 2007
Figures from JuxtConsult's India Online 2007 survey show that job search is the second most popular activity online, with 73 per cent of urban Indians indulging in it

After e-mailing, searching

for a job online is the most popular activity of urban Indians. A report by JuxtConsult on online job search shows that 73 per cent of the people online in urban India are looking for a job. This amounts to 18.4 million online job seekers. This figure has gone up from 53 per cent in 2006. JuxtConsult estimates that there are 80 million white collar employees and students seeking employment in the job market. Of these, about 25 per cent look for jobs online.

A majority of the online job seekers (64 per cent) are already employed and seeking to change their jobs. The remaining 36 per cent are unemployed and looking for their first job.

From the perspective of functions, 21 per cent of the job seekers are from the IT and software industry. This is followed by the marketing and sales function (15 per cent), and manufacturing and administration (11 per cent each).

Another interesting finding of the survey is that only 39 per cent of the job searches happen in the top 10 metro cities. Some 31 per cent of the online job seekers come from the larger non-metro towns, while the remaining 30 per cent come from the smaller non-metro towns.

Though there has been a proliferation of job sites, only three job sites - Naukri, Monster and Timesjobs - make it to the top five; the remaining two are generic searches at Google and Yahoo! Naukri leads with 37 per cent of the respondents preferring the site for job searches, though its user preference share has fallen by 12 per cent from last year, according to the report. Monster follows with 27 per cent of respondents preferring the site and then Timesjobs, with 14 per cent. Monster and Timesjobs have increased their user preference share by 8 and 7 per cent, respectively, from 2006.

While a majority of the job seekers visit specific job sites, 10 per cent still turn to generic search engines such as Google and Yahoo! About 5 per cent of the respondents preferred Google for job search purposes, while 3 per cent preferred Yahoo!

The online job search survey is part of JuxtConsult's Indian Online 2007 survey, conducted in April 2007. The survey is based on the responses of 10,000 households in 31 cities and 14,200 online respondents.

First Published : August 16, 2007
Search Tags

© 2007 agencyfaqs!