Reebok focuses on mass localisation

By Neha Kalra , afaqs!, New Delhi | In OOH News | July 02, 2008
Outdoor forms 15 per cent of the total advertising and marketing budget for the brand, reveals Shamim Sajid, director, marketing and products, Reebok India

Reebok, the

global sports and lifestyle brand, is utilising the mass localisation technique to promote itself strongly in select cities. The company has recently increased its presence in retail. Reebok's retail business is divided into three segments - lifestyle, women, and children.

Shamim Sajid, director, marketing and products, Reebok India, does not specify the ad and marketing budget. He says the mass localisation campaigns, which are strong on outdoor, form 15 per cent of the total ad budget. The remaining 85 per cent is allotted to campaigns for other launches.

The brand has put together outdoor displays for the women's and children's segments. The summer fashion footwear collections for women, Rallie, Rallie Dance and Moove Mint, have been put up on rotators with the aim of connecting with consumers and bringing out the vibrant colours of the three footwear ranges.

Each range is displayed in the panels of various bus shelters. Placed on revolving rotators, the standalone panels attract a lot of attention.

The ad campaign for Reebok Juniors is titled Made to Play. Child mannequins, dressed in sports attire from the range, have been placed at bus shelters at strategic locations near Reebok outlets. Another display has a girl playing basketball with a real net and backboard. A moving cut-out of a ball depicts the girl putting the basketball through the hoop. Neon effect has been used to highlight the main message, Made to Play. The displays have been put up in Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru and Kolkata.

Sajid says, "The outdoor display for the women's summer collection was intended to give the consumer a chance to experience the offering, with its various colour choices." He explains that the impact of the message is much more localised when the outdoor medium is used. Reebok will utilise television for Reebok Juniors in the next three to six months, but the women's footwear ranges will be treated differently, he adds.

"Right now, we have 15 exclusive stores each for women and children, and 20 lifestyle stores. The number of exclusive women's and children's stores will double by the end of 2008, and the number of lifestyle stores will go up to 50," Sajid reveals. India has 675 Reebok stores in all.

Asheesh Tyagi, client servicing director, Wallstreet 141, North and East, says, "For both the campaigns, Reebok did not want to compromise on the range. In terms of communication, we believe in going beyond the usual hoardings for outdoor advertising."

The outdoor displays were showcased at the JCDecaux bus shelters in Delhi.

Earlier, similar outdoor displays for Reebok's HexRide collection proved extremely successful and pushed up sales of the shoes substantially.

Search Tags

© 2008 afaqs!