UTV New Media appoints Microsoft Media Network to monetise several sites

By Kapil Ohri , afaqs!, New Delhi | In Digital | November 30, 2009
Microsoft Media Network will partner with UTV to monetise Techtree.com, CXOtoday.com and Channeltimes.com

UTV New Media Ventures, which is gearing up to revamp some of its online properties such as Techtree.com, CXOtoday.com and Channeltimes.com, has roped in Microsoft Media Network to monetise the sites. Microsoft Media Network is the display advertising network of Microsoft Advertising.

Speaking to afaqs!, Manish Agarwal, chief executive officer, UTV New Media reveals that ad inventory, available across the web pages of the mentioned portals, will be divided into two portions and allotted to the ad sales teams of both UTV New Media and Microsoft Media Network.

"About 75-85 per cent of the ad inventory on portals such as Techtree.com, CXOtoday.com and Channeltimes.com will be represented and sold by Microsoft Media Network in the market," says Vinay Krishna, head, Microsoft Media Network. The remaining ad inventory will be sold by the UTV ad sales team.

Krishna clarified that UTV New Media has not appointed Microsoft Media Network as a remnant ad inventory partner. In fact, it is an ad syndication deal.

Generally, in a remnant ad inventory deal, publishers sell about 40 per cent of the total ad inventory through their own ad sales team, hiring a single or various ad networks to sell the other 60 per cent. In such cases, most publishers prefer to sell the premium ad inventory, such as ads available on the home page, through their own sales teams.

Remnant ad inventory is mostly sold on cost per click, cost per lead and acquisition basis.

However, in ad syndication deal, the ad network becomes the representative and acts as an alternative sales channel of the site. It is allowed to get ads for premium ad spots, available across all webpages, as well. Ads are usually sold on cost-per thousand ad impressions (CPM) basis.

Techtree.com is a consumer oriented portal which provides news and information on gadgets such as mobile phones, laptops and consumer electronic products. CXOtoday.com is a niche website which offers technology related news to chief technology officers of IT companies. Channeltimes.com is targeted at technology vendors and offers information on products, services and business trends for the benefit of channel vendors.

© 2009 afaqs!