BloombergUTV claims to be 'blunt and sharp'

By Sangeeta Tanwar , afaqs!, New Delhi | In Media Publishing | June 09, 2010
The business news channel has launched an advertising campaign, designed by its agency TapRoot India, to support its programming changes

The business news channel, BlombergUTV is gearing up for changes on the programming front. It is looking to shift its focus from just stock market followers to a wider audience.

To communicate its new programming strategy and address various stakeholders, including viewers, traders and advertisers, the channel has launched an advertising campaign titled 'Blunt and Sharp'. The campaign has been put together by the business channel's creative agency, TapRoot India.

Sharing details about the programming changes on the cards and the accompanying campaign, MK Anand, chief executive officer, UTV Global Broadcasting, says, "Early this year, we conducted a survey in Delhi, Kolkata and Ahmadabad, covering SEC A, B 25+ audience. Our findings revealed that only 9 per cent of business channel viewers had invested in the stock market. This survey established the need for us to shift our focus to generating content for the rest of the 91 per cent audience, which does not have their own portfolio."

In the next four months, the channel will steadily increase content related to consumer finance, insurance, mutual funds and industry news. The focus would move from consumers investing in stock or experts, to 'Growth Aspirants', as they are known in the business news category. These are people who are not experts in stocks, but individuals who are interested in business news.

Regarding the advertising campaign, Agnello Dias, co-founder and chief creative officer, TapRoot India, says, "Our thought was very clear -- to highlight the category and consumer truths within the existing business news environment. And then to bring out the brand idea of BloombergUTV being the only "Blunt and Sharp" offering in the space."

He adds, "In the new avatar presented by this communication, the brand stands out as intelligent, not clever; bold yet understated. The main effort is to expand the relevance of the business news genre, and to build BloombergUTV's approach of delivering the long-awaited business virtues of clarity, lucid knowledge and usability."

The campaign is skewed towards metros, and prints ads are being carried out in publications such as The Times of India and Hindustan Times. When it comes to OOH, BloombergUTV has used the new terminal, which has recently come up at Mumbai Airport, for branding.

Search Tags

© 2010 afaqs!