TAM Report: 288 million viewers in India watched the India-Pak World Cup match

By afaqs! news bureau , afaqs!, Mumbai | In Media Publishing
Last updated : February 26, 2015
The match, which got 14.8 TVRs, is said to be the biggest television event in the last four years.

Star Sports network along with Doordarshan aired the most anticipated match of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 on February 15 - the India Vs Pakistan match.

The match between India and Pakistan was viewed by 288 million viewers (TAM data CS4+ extrapolated to the universe using a standard conversion factor). The game was the most watched television event in India in the last four years, since the finals of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2011.

Star Sports logo

Icc world cup

The match between the arch rivals rated 14.8 TVR (TAM data M15+ ABC) across Star network including DD. The match rated 11.9 TVR (TAM data M15+ ABC) on Star network and 2.9 TVR (TAM data M15+ ABC) on DD.

The India-Pakistan game delivered across town classes, led by the top six metros with 17.2 TVR and followed by 1million+ towns with 15.5 TVR (All data TAM data M15+ ABC).


Uday Shankar, CEO, Star India, says, "Nothing is bigger than the ICC Cricket World Cup, and Indian fans have shown their unflinching faith and passionate following for team India as they began their World Cup campaign with a bang. As the country's leading broadcaster, our efforts have been to showcase the best of cricket, have wider coverage, offer multiple languages and take the sport deeper by reinventing the viewer experience. With a host of innovations, we are committed to make this edition of the ICC Cricket World Cup the biggest ever."

The match was telecast in six different languages. The match of India Vs Pakistan received 76 per cent of the viewership from Hindi and regional feeds, and the rest 24 per cent from English.

The 'Mauka' campaign which was released by Star Sports for the India Vs Pakistan match went viral with over 17 million views online. Star had even got actor Amitabh Bachchan as a commentator with the Star Sports panel of Kapil Dev, Shoaib Akhtar, Rahul Dravid and Sanjay Manjrekar, for the India-Pakistan game.

The match recorded more than 25 million views on Star's digital platforms.

The India-Pakistan clash at the World Cup took social media, in India, by storm. 324,000 consumers spoke 500,000 times about the match, generating a potential three billion impressions. The match dominated conversations on Twitter, with 10/10 trends on Twitter Web, and 15/15 trends on Twitter Mobile, India spoke about nothing else.

Indian fans were hopeful of India's victory, and #Indwins was used 90,000 times, starting well before the game ended. The Star Sports campaign #wontgiveitback was used 24,000 times, and the second installment of the 'Mauka Mauka' campaign was viewed half a million times within hours of its release.

First Published : February 26, 2015

© 2015 afaqs!