Dentsu, Bangalore, bags Rs 4-crore duties of Blaupunkt

By , agencyfaqs! | In
Last updated : April 20, 2004
Subsequent to a multi-agency pitch, Dentsu Communications, Bangalore, has pocketed the advertising account of global audio major, Blaupunkt

Subsequent to a multi-agency pitch, Dentsu Communications, Bangalore, has pocketed the advertising account of global audio major, Blaupunkt. The advertising business of Blaupunkt India, estimated to be worth between Rs 3.5 to Rs 4 crore in annualized billing, was won by Dentsu on the back of a strategy-cum-creative presentation. The account was previously with Grey Worldwide.

Stating the reasons for awarding the business to Dentsu, Ajay Sahney, divisional manager, sales (Mobile Communication), MICO/SMC (which markets Blaupunkt in India), said, "We initiated a two-round, multi-agency pitch where we awarded our communication business to Dentsu, Bangalore, probably the youngest agency in India today. Dentsu's pitch was very clearly flowing from the business perspective laid down by us during the agency briefing stage. The clincher was really the passion that Dentsu displayed in the category and our business - evident in the sharp-focused communication strategy based on very insightful consumer research and understanding."

Launched in India in 1996, Blaupunkt is a fairly well established player in the organized Indian car-audio industry, which accounts for 30 per cent of the Rs 500-crore car-audio market. The unorganized sector constitutes the remaining 70 per cent. While Blaupunkt currently has a 20-per cent share of the organized market, Kenwood is the undisputed market leader, with a share of 47 per cent. However, Ashish Malhotra, associate vice-president, Dentsu Communications, is quick to point out that Kenwood commands the leadership position mainly on account of it being the OE (original equipment) supplier to Maruti, and not on the basis of retail-level (after-market) sales.

Malhotra adds that the advantage that Blaupunkt has over competing brands (Kenwood apart, Blaupunkt's competition includes Aiwa, Sony and Philips) is its brand perception. "According to the survey commissioned by the client, Blaupunkt is seen as a 'destination brand' the most sought-after brand," he explains. "However, at the same time, it is viewed as an expensive brand, which is a misconception. Thus, the task is it to create a strong consumer pull by bringing forth the value-for-money element in the communication."

Incidentally, Blaupunkt is an OE supplier to General Motors, Mercedes-Benz and Tata Engineering (for the Tata Safari), and has been selected as a genuine accessory by Ford and Hyundai. Worldwide, Blaupunkt produces five million radios every year, with 50-50 split between OE and after-market sales. © 2004 agencyfaqs!

First Published : April 20, 2004
Search Tags

© 2004 agencyfaqs!