Smartphone brand Xiaomi has released its latest brand film to celebrate the sale of 100 million smartphones in India during its five years of presence in the country. In the nearly three-minute video, Manu Kumar Jain, global vice president, Xiaomi and managing director, Xiaomi India, along with other employees is seen grooving to 'Best Day of My Life' by American Authors, an American rock band.
On his Twitter handle, a day before the release of the video, Jain had posted a part of the film – 'Current scene from Xiaomi India office' – letting his followers guess the 'big' news.
It is noteworthy that, of late, Jain has been a part of many of the brand's communications, especially on social media.
Apart from Jain, the film also features Raghu Reddy, head of online sales and categories, Xiaomi India, Manmohan Chandolu, general manager, POCO India and online partner sales head, Xiaomi India and Rohit Ghalsasi, category manager - audio, Xiaomi India.
In a press release issued by the brand, Anuj Sharma, chief marketing officer, Xiaomi India, was quoted as saying, “The entire film was shot in the Xiaomi headquarters in India (Bengaluru), including a few shots from one of the warehouses as well. The idea behind this brand film is to thank each individual who has been a part of this remarkable journey of Xiaomi in India, including Mi fans, consumers, company employees and all external partners.”
The campaign has been conceptualised and executed by Xiaomi’s brand marketing team and McCann, the creative agency.
This milestone has been achieved between Q3 2014 to July 2019 as per IDC 2019 reports. Redmi A series and Redmi Note series has been one of the most popular smartphones, which have significantly contributed to this feat.
The press release also highlights the following milestones achieved by the brand:
1. Xiaomi’s India journey started in 2014 with Mi 3.
2. Mi 3 sold 10,000 units on the first sale within seconds and crashed Flipkart because over half a million people came to purchase the device.
3. In August 2015, Xiaomi joined the 'Make in India' initiative.
4. Today, Xiaomi has seven smartphone manufacturing plants, which employs over 20,000 employees, with over 95 per cent of them being women.
5. Xiaomi has 46 per cent market share in the online smartphone market, as of Q2 2019, as per IDC.
6. Redmi Note series went on to become the most successful smartphone series and sold over 20 million units till date globally. Mi.com became the third largest e-commerce brand for smartphones in Q1 2019, as per Counterpoint Research.
7. Xiaomi’s offline smartphone market share grew exponentially from zero to 20 per cent by Q4 2018.
8. Xiaomi has over 2,000 Authorised Service Centers in India across 680 cities.
9. Xiaomi India’s smartphone market share has grown constantly and is currently the #1 brand for eight consecutive quarters, as per IDC.